Ali-Frazier I .... March 8, 1971

A recent book by Michael Arkush tells about the fight of the century between Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali. In the book he refers to 5,500 fans in Pittsburgh watching the fight outdoors at Three Rivers Stadium in 18 degree weather. I was one of them along with two friends. I was a freshman at Point Park College and we decided to go. Through the winds, the cheers and the sipping of coffee we did indeed witness an event which I have never seen duplicated. No Super Bowl or World Series or any any boxing match comes close in the anticipation of that night. When they were in their corners before the bell sounded I was almost shaking with nervous excitement. Being an Ali fan I was disappointed that he lost but the memory of that night lives on. I wonder if I will ever experience a sporting event like that again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sally Hasper Case: Embezzlement and Murder

More tipping jars than pumpkins