Pacific Bell, Facebook and Glynn Granger

If you had voice mail from Pacific Bell or SBC in the late 1990's or early 2000's you may have talked to Glynn Granger. If you did you probably would remember the call. From his cheerful opening greeting to his unmistakeable laugh ( Ha..Ha..Ha ) to his determination to correct whatever problem you had, Glynn was an icon at the San Ramon center.

While at the Dublin library over a week ago, I ran into a former co-worker and after sharing stories about what other PacBell alumni were doing, Glynn's name came up. On a spur of the moment we decided to see if he was on Facebook and there he was, in living color. Wow, we thought he's accepting friends, so we clicked on the button and waited for the reply.

About a day later I saw that "red number one" on messages, clicked it and saw Glynn's photo. I can't tell you how happy I was to read what he had to say.

When the first few words were, "John, this is Ralph, Glynn's son," I can't tell you how sad I was. I found out that he had passed away in 2009. Had I scrolled down his profile the day before, I would have seen some messages and knew he had left us.

A few years ago, to let friends know someone had passed away you would go through your phone numbers and emails to see who you could contact. This could take up to a week.

Enter Facebook.

I quickly emailed Teresa, who received the same response and we quickly sent out instant chats, messages and passed the word around. In 24 hours most of the former PacBell people were contacted. A message I posted received 29 comments. Plus I received a dozen or so direct messages. His Facebook page grew from 61 friends to 98 (and counting). There were several touching messages left on his page.

Glynn (not Glenn as he used to say), was one of a kind. He had such a sparkling personality despite his ailments. Plus he had a unique and honest way of expressing himself. I sat across from him twice and here are some of the things I remember.

If he was puzzled over an email message from the company you might him hear say, 'What in the Sam Hill are they trying to say !"

If someone, usually a customer didn't quite get something he would say offline "Well Duhhhhh" !

Once at the end of the day he said he was on his way to a class. Knowing his age and condition I asked is it a cooking class or meditation. He barked " Meditation ! It's a Tap Dancing class" !

The times we walked out of the building at the end of the day, he would say, "John, let's get the hell out of Dodge".

We used to have monthly meetings where stats were read, snacks were put out and birthdays and letters of commendations were read. Usually a dull event except you had time off the phone. Once I suggested we spice things up a bit. Let's have Glynn read the commendations. This turned into a laugh riot as he emphasized words, called people out and had everyone clamoring for more.

Another phrase, Texas style was how he would describe something. "I had a meal last night, sonnnnnnn it was sooooo good".

One of my favorites was when he would plow through a billing system to enter a note. "Why do they still have this antiquated system" !

I don't know if Glenn, (whoops Glynn) was ever late for work. Maybe once if there was a major traffic jam. He would have his cup of tea, kick into his slippers and await the day. I remember once I said I knew a Granger only he pronounced it " I know he cackled, he pronounced it Grawn-Jay.

Somewhere up in the sky I know he's looking over my shoulder and saying John, you better edit this article, I see several grammar and punctuation errors.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sally Hasper Case: Embezzlement and Murder

More tipping jars than pumpkins